Monday, August 25, 2008

Paris in the park...

Well at least I had a petite taste of Paris in Lincoln Park from Bennison’s Bakery at Chicago Green City Market.
This Bakery is one of the Urban Vendors that are committed to the mission of the Market to improve the availability of a diverse range of high quality foods. This wonderful bakery
produces croissants, scones, baguettes, pastries, cakes, cookies and artisanal breads
with organic ingredients.

Bennison’s Bakery is one of the few bakeries in the country to employ two Certified Master Bakers. Both Jory Downer and Efrain Tirado completed the training and testing required to obtain this certification, the highest level that a baker can achieve. Bennison’s was part of the Bread Bakers Guild Team USA 2005, and took the Gold Medal in the Coupe du Monde de la Boulangerie (World Cup of Baking) in Paris in April 2005.

The Coupe du Monde de la Boulangerie is an international artisan bread baking competition held every three years in Paris. It is the world’s only competition where bakers who practice the craft of artisan baking can compete against the many old-world traditions of the various countries involved. The purpose of the competition is to gather artisan bakers from around the world to celebrate their profession, share knowledge of artisan baking techniques, and reinstate the value and restore the image of the artisan baking profession.

I have to say that this honor was well deserved as their baguettes were golden and crispy on the outside with score marks on the crust, The inside crumb was a perfect cream color, light and springy with a delicate nuttiness. As good, as tasty and as satifying as only a great baguettes can be...or perhaps better than the Boulngerie next door to my Paris appartement.

Their blueberry-custard and raspberry-custard pastries, croissants, seven grain breads and blueberry scones that I bought were also of such an exceptional quality that they naturally put me in a Paris state of mind. I could describe my heavenly orgasmic experience tasting these yummy as well as picture perfect purchases before my family devoured every last crumb.
But I don't want to be too cruel...
These images I have posted of Bennison’s stunning wares are cruel enough, I fear.

On this pleasant summer day, I had a lovely taste-trip to Paris without ever having to go through airport security.

If you live in this area, please visit Bennison’s Bakery at their Evanston location or at Chicago Green City Market.

2 comments:

A Brush with Color said...

LOL--great description, and your photos are melt-in-the-mouth scrumptious looking! Those pastries look so good. I love a croissant smothered in butter. I know it's not good for me, but I only eat one once in a blue moon, anyway. Great post! that place sounds excellent!

Gail Peck said...

I adore all kinds of breads and pastries--next time I'm in Chicago I'm heading here!