Friday, August 28, 2009

camera in the kitchen...

”The grand thing about cooking is you can eat your mistakes” ~ Julia Child

Last week one of my still life images that I used to illustrate a blog post about Paul Child photographing Julia Child as she worked was made famous and will be a part of culinary history.

Paul Child photographed Julia's hands as she diced, chopped and cooked so he could to send the photos to the illustrator to use as a model in her ground-breaking cookbook "Mastering the Art of French Cooking”.


My image was chosen by the Smithsonian Photography Initiative to be in their post and remain forever in the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. Julia Child collection.

My photograph is a very humble image that I took in my home studio, but I am indeed very, very proud. The image was also used in an article from the Smithsonian called "Camera in the Kitchen", a title that I love, as that is where my camera is most at home.

My Image on the Smithsonian Photography Initiative: A Camera in the Kitchen

I hope that I may have made Julia proud in the fact that I am as serious a cook as she was.
Not famous,but I still remain a very serious cook. I love to play with food, and with my camera in my kitchen, as Julia and Paul did so long ago.

What a Smithsonian surprise...
and such a lovely and simple gift to my culinary soul.

Merci mille fois, Julia for your constant daily inspirations.
And merci beaucoup to the Smithsonion Institute for this kind gift .

13 comments:

sue said...

Well, awesome, Terrie!! Congratulations to you. I'm so happy for you that you got that well-deserved recognition. Great news.

~I AM Love~* said...

Felicitations!!! What fanatastic news ! You must be so thrilled to have your excellent work be recognized, and doubly so because of your love for Julia. Very impressive, mon amie!

Karen said...

That is wonderful! You must and should be so proud. I am now reading the biography of Julia and enjoying it very much. Learning about Julia's life has been enlightening and good preparation for my month in Paris. Only 4 1/2 more weeks.. I am so excited.

Lindsey said...

Wow Congrats! What an honor! Hope you like Guava when you go.

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

Merci mille fois...a million thanks chêre Sue, Barbara, Karen and Lindsey...you are all too kind.

It was a "quelle surprise" to have recognition for my simple still-life image. But it makes me happy to have my deep appreciation for Julia recognized in such a permanent manner at the Smithsonian.

Hi Karen...I am so looking forward to you posts and images from my home in Paris. Your stay in the Latin Quarter will be very cool, but remember you are just across the Seine from our fave jardin Palias Royal.

Hi Lindsey...will email you about our experience at Guava.

shteynberg@si.edu said...

Thank you again for offering up your wonderful photo for our blog post! (and PS, I've updated the caption).

Gail Peck said...

This is so wonderful Terrie--you deserve all kinds of recognition--wow, I'm proud of you!

Culinary Cory said...

This is SO AWESOME! Such a great shot too. Many Congrats to you. I love that it's called, Camera in the Kitchen. Yay! Happy Dance!

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

Merci mille fois Catherine (most especially for making this happen)... and Gail and Cory...
happy dance indeed...woot...! ! !

And merci beaucoup chêre Julia encore...

glamah16 said...

How amazing is this! Congrats. Beautiful.

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

Merci mille fois Coco, for your kind comment...
Hope that you are well...

Phil Lowe said...

As a Brit I am only just beginning to discover who this woman (Julia Child) is/was. I am aware of Elizabeth David as the UK major influence of European cooking but the name Julia Child meant nothing to me. The film with Meryl Streep is soon to hits UK cinemas so I shall certainly pop along to see that and be inspired.

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

Salut Phil...
Merci beaucoup for your comment...

I hope that you will come to appreciate Julia Child as we do here.
The movie is quite good, but that is my perspective as I have met Julia in person and have watched her shows for many years. She has always been my culinary heroine.
That is one reason why I was so happy to be part of her history in our Smithsonian with my humble image.

The movie rendition of her book, "My Life in France" you may appreciate for the Paris images, marches and the food.
But Julia was so much more.