Wednesday, October 28, 2009

wordless Wednesday: autumn in Paris…

Everyone has their natural place...
Neither pride nor price determines its altitude: childhood decides it.
Mine is a Parisian sixth floor with a view over the roofs.
~ Jean-Paul Sartre, Les Mots



For many years past, I have spent the autumn season in Paris. Not only is it a magical time of year as the leaves change into their fall couture, there is different vibe throughout the city that seems less hectic and more serene. Unfortunately this year I will be here in the US. But I am missing Paris very much this autumn, so the misty grey or golden autumn days here remind me of those glorious days in my favorite city. This year, images of past autumns in Paris will have to do, and I share them with you, gentle readers.

A breath of Paris preserves the soul.
~
Victor Hugo, Les Misérables ~ 1862


All I wanted was to connect my moods with those of Paris.
A picture is the expression of an impression. If the beautiful were not in us, how would we ever recognize it? ~
Ernst Haas


Delicious autumn...! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot


Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving.
What you have caught on film is captured forever ...
It remembers little things, long after you have forgotten them.
~
Aaron Siskind


And because it is Pumpkin week, here are pumpkins that are Parisiennes: Jaune Gros de Paris.


The beautiful giant pumpkin of the historic Paris market, Marché Les Halles. This big fruit can grow to over 100 lbs. They are round, flattened and have light ribbing. They are good keepers and are still popular in France. Good in pies, soups and baked or picked small and roasted or fried like squash.

4 comments:

sue said...

Well, thank goodness for photos to take us back to the places we love, Terrie--these are beautiful--what wonderful images. No wonder you love it there. I know you will be there in spirit. Fall is my favorite season. Thinking of you tonight from New Orleans...xo

Anonymous said...

The fall is the best season to come to Paris. Sorry you're not coming over as I'd love to take you out to dinner.

Gail Peck said...

So gorgeous Terrie--I believe I first "met" you through your Paris images. I'm sorry you won't be able to be there...

PeterParis said...

Fabulous photos! Too bad that you can't take any new ones right now, but so nice that you have some good ones in reserve! Je t'embrasse! :-)